So over this last week, we’ve been pretty busy figuring things out and fixing things and figuring out what we were missing and maybe even fixing another long-time error in M&F.
Firstly, we’ve managed to identify several places where how forms were rendered ended up resulting in extra greater than signs, ‘>’, being scattered about. I think we’re up to five now, that we’ve corrected.
Past that, thanks to some assistance from Anaris from the BattleMaster development team, hierarchy and family trees will now render on the test server. I was apparently missing an application called graphviz. Telling my server to install it solved the problem right promptly. Continue reading “One Week Later”
Day 1 was helpful, because it highlighted a number of issues with how the code differs from the live game to the test server. Files that we expected to be the same have errors that break the game. For instance, you can’t initiate battle anymore.
Other files have changes we’re aware of, some of which we’ll roll back. One we have, was the 0-0-0 line on event logs. This was originally added to make it more obvious that other events existed outside the log. However, due to how the table sort works, it needed to have a number assigned so it’d appear in the right place in the table. It still appears at the top, which it will continue to do.
That particular change came with the table sorter being implemented on other tables. The event table in particular wasn’t a regular table beforehand. It was a definition list. Which wasn’t sortable (I tried), just filterable. Now it’s both. Might be a note for down the line that we make other tables similarly filterable.
On a different note, there has been some more discussion about how battles and equipment should work going ahead. I think we’re all on the same page about equipment changes, but how battle will work is another story altogether.
I realize that I am posting this on Monday morning, JST, but I actually got a test server operational for Might & Fealty a couple hours ago, so I’m pleased to report I came through on that mention of having a test server operational by the end of the weekend! 😀
If you’d like to check it out: http://valengard.lemuriacommunity.org
Even with the short amount of time it’s been live, some of you have already helped me find some errors in things, and I’ll be working out the rest of them over the coming days, with the goal of having the server move completed by the end of the month.
So, the last week or so has been spent trying to smooth out the database import process. When the current M&F database is imported to a different server’s database, the code for the website encounters an error when loading some pages. I’ve worked around this before, but I’ve never gotten a good solid fix down, probably because I’ve never properly documented what I did. I just kept trying things, and eventually it just worked.
My efforts of late have been to document what does and doesn’t work. I’ve got three different sets of instructions that do not resolve the problem. And literally in the middle of typing this, literally between this sentence and the last, I figured out how to fix the major errors I’d been having. I don’t understand why they were a thing, but they’re fixed. Not that it was really a thing that needed “fixing”, it’s more there was a step I didn’t realize I needed. Continue reading “The Last Week’s Efforts”