Sometimes, I’m sitting there playing the game, when I start to realize that there’s something I can fix pretty easily that if I fix it, would greatly improve some aspect of the game.
This update’s target? Player Retention. Continue reading “Mini-Update Released! Version 22.214.171.124 – “Welcoming Committee””
Day 1 was helpful, because it highlighted a number of issues with how the code differs from the live game to the test server. Files that we expected to be the same have errors that break the game. For instance, you can’t initiate battle anymore.
Other files have changes we’re aware of, some of which we’ll roll back. One we have, was the 0-0-0 line on event logs. This was originally added to make it more obvious that other events existed outside the log. However, due to how the table sort works, it needed to have a number assigned so it’d appear in the right place in the table. It still appears at the top, which it will continue to do.
That particular change came with the table sorter being implemented on other tables. The event table in particular wasn’t a regular table beforehand. It was a definition list. Which wasn’t sortable (I tried), just filterable. Now it’s both. Might be a note for down the line that we make other tables similarly filterable.
On a different note, there has been some more discussion about how battles and equipment should work going ahead. I think we’re all on the same page about equipment changes, but how battle will work is another story altogether.
So, the last week or so has been spent trying to smooth out the database import process. When the current M&F database is imported to a different server’s database, the code for the website encounters an error when loading some pages. I’ve worked around this before, but I’ve never gotten a good solid fix down, probably because I’ve never properly documented what I did. I just kept trying things, and eventually it just worked.
My efforts of late have been to document what does and doesn’t work. I’ve got three different sets of instructions that do not resolve the problem. And literally in the middle of typing this, literally between this sentence and the last, I figured out how to fix the major errors I’d been having. I don’t understand why they were a thing, but they’re fixed. Not that it was really a thing that needed “fixing”, it’s more there was a step I didn’t realize I needed. Continue reading “The Last Week’s Efforts”
So, I’m going to make an effort, at least until someone complains or I forget or get too busy or something, to take a few minutes each night to document my efforts on the game, if there are any. Continue reading “April 18 Efforts”