So, the server move is done, and while we’ve yet to iron out the last few kinks, we are actively working on things. First and foremost, game breaking bugs. Secondly, bugs we can understand enough to work on. Third, new features and additions. And yes, in that order.
The biggest bugs we encountered was of course the mail issues, which I’ll not cover again. Beyond that, there was a bug we introduced to heraldry where if your character had a spouse that did NOT have a heraldry, it’d prevent you from loading the page to select any. We added a rule to only care about spouse heraldry if said spouse actually HAD heraldry, which fixed that.
There is another error that we believe was introduced by an update to the underlying framework the game runs on (our research indicates Symfony 2.7.33 itself, rather than one of it’s dependencies–for the record, the game used to run on Symfony 2.7.7). This particular error causes a bug in the character sorting functionality for each player.. You should see the fix live in game now.
Beyond that, well, is everything and anything. Continue reading “What’s Next?”
Ah, that reads with so much less impact with a question mark at the end, but as far as I can tell, everything is good to go for the server move. I’ve already emailed Tom letting him know I think everything’s good to go and asking if there’s any last things I should check, so the move should be happening sometime in the next few weeks I’d assume. We just need to work out a date that works for both of us.
As for the problems I was encountering when last I posted . . . Continue reading “All Systems Green?”
So, I’ve not been keeping good on my wanting to post something here when I get something done, and I apologize for that, but progress is continuing.
The test server, which I’ll henceforth refer to as “Valengard”, is nearly fully operational. There are a handful of bugs left to squash before I let Tom know that we’re good whenever he’s good and I put in a request for a second server to host the live game on. Continue reading “Nearly Fully Operational”
So over this last week, we’ve been pretty busy figuring things out and fixing things and figuring out what we were missing and maybe even fixing another long-time error in M&F.
Firstly, we’ve managed to identify several places where how forms were rendered ended up resulting in extra greater than signs, ‘>’, being scattered about. I think we’re up to five now, that we’ve corrected.
Past that, thanks to some assistance from Anaris from the BattleMaster development team, hierarchy and family trees will now render on the test server. I was apparently missing an application called graphviz. Telling my server to install it solved the problem right promptly. Continue reading “One Week Later”
Day 1 was helpful, because it highlighted a number of issues with how the code differs from the live game to the test server. Files that we expected to be the same have errors that break the game. For instance, you can’t initiate battle anymore.
Other files have changes we’re aware of, some of which we’ll roll back. One we have, was the 0-0-0 line on event logs. This was originally added to make it more obvious that other events existed outside the log. However, due to how the table sort works, it needed to have a number assigned so it’d appear in the right place in the table. It still appears at the top, which it will continue to do.
That particular change came with the table sorter being implemented on other tables. The event table in particular wasn’t a regular table beforehand. It was a definition list. Which wasn’t sortable (I tried), just filterable. Now it’s both. Might be a note for down the line that we make other tables similarly filterable.
On a different note, there has been some more discussion about how battles and equipment should work going ahead. I think we’re all on the same page about equipment changes, but how battle will work is another story altogether.