Setting up a Test Server – Part 05/??

We’re getting so close to having this thing operational, I can taste it, and it tastes like Monster Import. That, or that’s what I’m drinking. It’s 4AM and I don’t know anymore. But I don’t need to know, I just need to figure out how to server! And that, I can do.

When we left off we had two silly errors complaining about the server not being able to write to some folders. Resolution?

cd /var/www/html/maf/app
sudo chmod 777 -R ./cache
sudo chmod 777 -R ./logs

And blamo, we’ve got our last two major errors off the table. The only thing left is a “recommendation” that the intl extension should be available.

Now, I’m not going to install that because the composer.json file included with M&F tells PHP what components and modules and doodads to install, and that was apparently not on the list. So, we’re going to move on.

At this point, I think we’re to the point of starting to actually stage the game’s files. That is, get things to be usable. We’re still short a map, but, well, we should still be able to get the game’s site itself functional. To start though, we’re going to take the apache2 server down, and then install a dependency (since we’re running a newer version of PHP than the game was originally designed for, I think).

sudo service apache2 stop
sudo apt-get install php-apcu
sudo phpenmod apcu

Alright, so I got pretty frustrated with this thing and stepped away for a while. Like, days. Long story short, apcu wasn’t working, the file with it’s commands, which I thought were the right direction, were not the right direction. Yes, it was doing things, but not the things I needed. More talking with Tom has pointed me at the following command:

app/console doctrine:schema:create

Unfortunately this command did not work as intended though, so more fun error resolution to follow. One of these days were going to start talking code and design though, because I need this site to not be all me getting angry at a server.

However, before I get to that, there was a point where it asked me for the database connection information, and I don’t appear to have that documented anywhere. So when time permits (later this week, maybe even later today) I’m going to sit down and figure out where this mess of a guide left off, and pick it up from there.